Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Quick Break from Working

I'm looking through some old posts, and here are two reader comments I want to share:

"I mean, the way some people . . . have hacked at their faces. . . makes you realize that all of the money in the world can't fix self-hatred. And God forbid I be that way." - Ambika

"I was driving down the street and noticed a very glamorous-looking lady walking down the sidewalk. Then I noticed that her thighs were about twice the size of mine. That's when I figured out that nobody is staring at my thighs, thinking I look fat, everyday like I am." - Rebecca

Wise, eh? Those ladies always seem to know what they're talking about.


EDIT: I did not take the first quote as a racist comment, but I realize now that it can be easily misinterpreted. I am incredibly sorry if you were offended by this. I have removed the parts of the quote that offended, and I hope everyone's okay with that. And, for the record, I am not racist. I love diversity and all it stands for, and one of my favorite things about living in America is that it is such a melting pot of race, culture, ethnicity, religion, etc. 

Oh, and I know Ambika's not racist either.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the way some people of color have hacked their faces"??? Racist much?

How about the way white people have hacked their faces? Or mutilated their breasts? Etc. etc. Or how about the fact that PEOPLE OF ALL RACES have gotten plastic surgery in an attempt to fix their insecurities? Since when is it only "people of color"? Ugh.

Kori said...

anonymous - I'm so sorry you were offended; I did not realize the quote could be interpreted as a racist comment, and I'm sure the author didn't either. I agree that women of all races get plastic surgery and are unhappy with their appearances.

Anonymous said...

Kori, I think that if someone follows Ambika's blog, they would understand that it isn't a racist comment. Ambika has always been quite proud of her ethnicity, and puts forth amazing role models who equally celebrate their ethnicity.

For a young women who is African American, it is important to celebrate those who aren't trying to form themselves in to the white status quo, but rather who celebrate their heritage and beauty how they are.

WendyB said...

In context, the comment was absolutely fine. The bitchy anonymous commenter should have been able to comprehend that, IMHO, since it was, you know, a COMMENT on something else. Give me a damn break.

Anonymous said...

hey, i've been following your blog for a bit and i am absolutely inspired by this post. What a definite pick-me-up when you're in a cloud of self-consciousness.

-krist

Kori said...

Ashe Mischief - I responded to you on Twitter. I feel the same way, and thank you for what you said.

WendyB - Agreed, but I guess I can see where they were coming from. Some people are sensitive about that kind of thing.

kaprichos - Great; I'm so glad to hear that!

Liv Bambola said...

I had a thought similar to Rebecca's the other day. We tend to overanalyse ourselves, picking up the flaws and pulling at them until they're all we see when we look in the mirror.

Other people don't see the flaws. They see the whole package. We need to learn how to see the whole package too.

Liv Bambola said...

I had a thought similar to Rebecca's the other day. We tend to overanalyse ourselves, picking up the flaws and pulling at them until they're all we see when we look in the mirror.

Other people don't see the flaws. They see the whole package. We need to learn how to see the whole package too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quote and kind comment! And for reminding me that I said that (*chuckle*); since I had that realization I have had fewer body issues, but unfortunately some of that self-criticism is now trying to find another home: the face or the personality.

Happy Hannukah. =D

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Sometimes non-standard due to you after sharing. Unequivocally advantage my time.

Anonymous said...

This is a celebrated article as they all are. I from been wondering nearly this an eye to some time now. Its notable to grow this info. You are reasonable and balanced.