Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Masked Theory


Doesn't this girl (from Facehunter, which is capturing my attention more and more lately) make you want to wear a mask? I think she looks fantastic! There's something about the idea of wearing masks that is totally enticing. The part of me that likes to get into character when getting dressed and read fantasy novels is so drawn to it. I remember this scene in The Man in the Iron Mask (it's a three musketeers movie) where the evil king's twin brother is switched with him during a masked ball. Everyone has these glittering masks on, and the flash of their eyes behind the masks is thrilling and mysterious. If you haven't seen that movie, you can compare it to the masked ball in Marie Antoinette, except more exciting, suspenseful, and electrically charged.

If you're wondering where I'm going with this, I don't really have a point yet. I'm just rambling on about masks and seeing if it takes me somewhere. It's a lazy approach to posting, but also kind of fun.

So, can masks be interpreted into your daily fashion choices? You'd have to be utterly fearless to pull off the look during the day, although you would earn my eternal love and admiration, but I think a mask would be fantastic for a night out. I love how the Facehunter girl matched hers to her outfit, but I also think a bold-colored mask with a black or white outfit would look amazing. Just picture it... The mysterious masked stranger (you) enters the room. The crowd stares, and you stare back at them, eyes blazing through the slits in your mask. And then, if you're Cinderella, the prince will ask you to dance.

That's my kind of fairytale.

Okay, so maybe that won't happen. But maybe it will. My theory is that the bolder you are with your fashion choices, the bolder and more exciting your lifestyle will be. If you add some mystery to your look with a mask, then maybe some mystery will find you. If your outfit says, "That's right- I have the confidence and creativity to pull off a mask," then it would take a pretty confident, quirky person to approach you, don't you think? Who knows what would happen next!

Cinderella (in my favorite version of the story) wore a mask to hide herself. As did Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette. But fashion is about breaking the rules, right?

In my mind, an enthusiastic crowd is screaming, "Right!!!" I am a terribly good imaginary speaker. But I probably shouldn't have interrupted my stirring rant with the contents of my imagination, especially since I was about to make a climactic point. End of digression.

Why not wear a mask to show your personality?

If that's not revolutionary (and fun!), I don't know what is.

...And in my imagination, I take a bow. The crowd goes wild. I'd like to assure you that I'm mentally stable. Just kind of, you know, weird. Don't pretend you don't like it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kori! I HAD to tell you! Remember that post you wrote about the Fafi Adidas sneakers? Did you ever buy them? If not, I just found them on Karmaloop! =) http://www.karmaloop.com/products.asp?ProductID=15686&VendorCode=ADI

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to add something. Free shipping on orders over $35 on Karmaloop with code KAZBY. heehee

Kori said...

Thanks for the heads-up!!! I never bought them, but sadly I don't have $90 to kill on a pair of sneakers right now. I still want them really badly though. Maybe they'll go on sale eventually? I hope so...