Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fashion Inspiration: Drue Kataoka

Wow, what a night last night, huh? Obama's victory struck me a lot more intensely than I had anticipated, and I was whooping and dancing for joy with the best of them. More than just relief, I felt some distinct jubilation. This will be an interesting term, and I have a lot of hope for America.

Of course, this morning found me waking with a giddy emotion I can only compare to that of a child the day after their birthday when the party's over but there are still presents to unwrap and leftover cake to munch. Not to be too specific or anything. But I flipped open my laptop, set Obama's speech to play in the background, and like the true fashion geek that I am, clicked through to Mrs. O. Mrs. O is a fun blog documenting Michelle Obama's style, and I was a bit anxious to see who had made her dress from election night. (Narcisso Rodriguez, Spring '09, by the way.) Anyway, scrolling further, my eyes were met by this photo:

I like Michelle's style for the most part, I really do, but who could concentrate on her sober suit when the woman beside her was rocking a beflagged dress in a fresh, edgy way? Certainly not me!

It turns out this woman is a well-known artist named Drue Kataoka. Her artwork is definitely noteworthy, but so is her style.


I think Drue does a really good job balancing funky and classic pieces. Her signature sleek '20s-style bob, bright red lipstick, and matching nail polish always make a statement, and she clearly isn't afraid to stand out.


Whether she's clad in a form-fitting black dress, shimmering floor length gown, or silver pants, she seems to have definite flair for the dramatic, as is probably befitting an artist. I really am smitten with her fashion sense; she's one to watch!

That said, I am kind of psyched to see what Michelle Obama wears to the inaugural ball.

And also, don't you think Drue could pull off that YSL bob with fantastic success?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, what makes Drue particularly stunning is that she doesn't just wear these clothes, she really works them! In each photo she holds herself a little bit differently, creating a story that's just right for each outfit, sometimes grace, or power, or fun!

Kando said...

Drue's style is amazing, and she's a lovely, warm person as well. You can get better acquainted with her work and her style at www.drue.net and www.valleyzen.com.

MichelleB said...

Drue's style is so chic. I would love to wear any of her outfits to go with my gorgeous diamond necklace my hubby bought me from www.idonowidont.com for my birthday.

That way I can look like fashion forward when I go downtown with my girlfriends!

Anonymous said...

kori ~~ your post has been picked up by a lot of other fashion sites!! Great eye you have & internal style compass. Thanxx for pointing out drue -- she rocks in the flag dress which is now the dress of the moment as our country surges with patriotism.

drue's style and her art is amazing. she took one stroke around the world to honor 12 honorees -- catherine malandrino was one of them. Photos here:
http://www.inasinglestroke.com/catherine_malandrino_new_york_1.html

http://www.inasinglestroke.com/catherine_malandrino_new_york_2.html

Anonymous said...

Drue's look is totally 'chic unique'. In every respect she is simply something else!

Anonymous said...

Her look is quite amazing!

Shenanigans said...

I love anyone rocking the 1920's bob.

You are right her style is so unique.

Anonymous said...

Drue is an amazingly accomplished person – artist. Her fashion style is a casing for an exquisite person inside.

Sarah Mendelsohn said...

she's interesting, love her style.

restaurant aprons said...

first of all i want to ask is Drue a he or a she? and secondly i find Drue cool on what a wears on the photo. i just dont find the hair much fashionable than the clothes.

dpp1 said...


I agree with this thread & hope more people will join and reply to this and share their views.

[url=http://www.ilbs.in]Liver Regeneration [/url]

[url=http://www.ilbs.in]Alcoholic Liver Disease [/url]

[url=https://www.facebook.com/WebDesign.SEOCompany]SEO Company [/url]

[url=https://plus.google.com/+ganpatiindustriesSEOFreelancer?]SEO Freelancer [/url]

[url=https://www.facebook.com/WebDesign.SEOCompany]SEO [/url]