Hello, dahlings. I don't know about you, but as summer approaches, I'm feeling the need to be seriously glamorous. I'm not talking fur coats, cigarette holders, and a hoity-toity accent (although you can't deny that Cruella deVille and Holly Golightly are dripping with glamorosity), but I do want to exude that air of fabulousness. Yes, the price of glam can be quite high. Yes, I don't have that kind of money. But I won't let that deter me! Glam can and will be done on a budget! Here's how I intend to do it:
1) Paint your nails and lips a bright cherry red! This is the cheapest way to appear glamorous, and boy does it work! Marilyn Monroe and Jerry Hall knew (and know) what they were doing!
2) Frost yourself! Okay, so the term "frost yourself" came from that timeless chick flick How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, during which it referred to diamonds, but I'm on a roll with movie references and needed to slip that in here. After all, what's more glamorous than Hollywood? Movie references aside, I suggest wearing large fake jewels. A glamorous woman is a woman whose very presence demands attention. And how could you possibly be ignored if you are glimmering with gems? You will be the talk of the town!
3) Dress it up! A glamorous woman is always looking her best when out in public. Wear clothes that flatter you, and opt for dressy over casual whenever possible. When you take your fabulous self to the pool, wear retro-style swimsuits that positively ooze glam. (May I suggest this or this?) Also, big shades will really pump up your look.
4) Treat yourself! To appear glamorous, you should feel glamorous. It's important to recognize that you are beautiful and successful in your own way, and to treat yourself accordingly. I'm not suggesting blowing out your credit card on all those pairs of designer shoes you've been coveting (A huge debt is not so glamorous), but give yourself the occasional gifts. Whether it's buying a facial kit and some nail polish to have a girls' night with your friends, eating a second slice of cake every so often, or taking a long, luxorious bubble bath, it will do wonders for your mood and confidence.
5) Be a Lady! Now that you're treating yourself nicely, it's time to be nice to others. (Hopefully you already do this.) After all, a glamorous lady needs friends to keep her grounded, and no one will want to be friends with you if you are overly snooty. Manners are key!
These are just a few ways to join me on my journey toward glam. Of course, I won't be sparkling and impeccably dressed every day, but I'd like to think that my self confidence and good manners will mantain an aura of fabulousness even when I'm slumming (Oh c'mon...I know I'm not the only one who resorts to cut-offs and a cropped tank when it's 90 degrees out). And the red nails? I think I can rock those all summer long.
For more inspiration:
-Watch Sex and the City. Samantha and Carrie are always glamorous.
-Look at this editorial for some pool-side glam.
-Watch movies featuring Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Jane Mansfield, and other actresses of old Hollywood. My favorites are Some Like it Hot and Breakfast at Tiffany's.