Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Balenciaga Incident

Scene: I walk into my mother's room this afternoon to see her posing in front of the mirror in some clothing she just bought. "Show me the goods!" I tell her, and she turns around. Her outfit? A navy blue fitted blazer, capris gathered below the knees, and an ethnic scarf around her neck.

"Oooh," I say, "very Balenciaga!"

"Very what?"

"Balenciaga."

A pause. Then, "What's Balenciaga?"

She may be clueless about designers, but she's got the look down pat.

I can't decide whether this is laughable, unfair, or a sign that my fashion inclinations do, in fact, come from my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm sure I've said something similar about Karl Lagerfield whenever I see an older man with a pony tail--and usually the people around me have no clue as to what I'm going on about.