Saturday, May 5, 2007

A Complicated Relationship

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This week I've been noticing a lot of bloggers writing about perfume, a fact which makes me feel somewhat obligated to voice my thoughts on the subject. You see, I have a love/hate relationship with perfume. I find that most types are too strong or too musky, so the occasion is rare that I will actually enjoy smelling a perfume. Which probably why I am so cynical about it. I find the whole idea of perfume a little invasive. I can no longer count the times I sat next to some woman on the bus, covered my nose from her perfume stench, and thought, "How dare she invade my personal space with her smell?" I mean seriously, by wearing a certain scent, you are forcing all people who come in contact with you to smell it, whether they like it or not. Personal expression (through clothing, perfume, whatever) is definitely important, but it's hard to know when to tone it down, or even if it should be toned down. At what point does personal expression cease to be a right and start being invasive?

Maybe I'm putting a little too much thought into this.

That said, when I do find a perfume I enjoy, I want to keep smelling it all day. Hell, I want to bathe in it! Still, I know that other people may not appreciate having to cope with my scent. So...the question remains...to perfume, or not to perfume? I think that there are a few basic rules that everyone should follow:

1) If you know you are going to be in close quarters with people for a long while (i.e. a plane ride, a long bus ride, going to a class that meets in a crowded room), you should probably lay the perfume aside. If you must smell of something, reach for a scented lotion (much milder).

2) When you are applying the perfume, try not to over-spritz. Once on each wrist and on the back of your neck should do the trick.

3) If you are going to an interview of some sort, it is safest not to wear any scent at all. Trust me on this one.

What do you think? Do you agree/disagree with any of my rules? Do you have any new ones to add? Should there even be any rules?

**Note: I am very much enjoying my rules. They make me feel important. If you add to the list, you can feel important too.

No comments: